Of the convicted burglars questioned, 78% of burglars use facebook, twitter and foursquare to target potential properties，74% of burglars use Google street view to scope out potential homes before they strikes. They said that they used Facebook and Twitter – where users ‘check in’ to locations – as it was a useful source of information, providing you with where someone was and when they wouldn’t be at home.
How can we prevent this?
- Set your facebook privacy settings to allow only your friends to see your content.
- Only add actual friends into your network
- Refrain from announcing that you will be out of town for an extended period of time
- Don’t post photos that reveal your address or landmarks near your home
- Avoid posting of expensive items in your home
According to Ex-burglars 80% of burglars reveal that the first attempt at breaking into a property is usually unsuccessful. They usually must return to a property a number of times before they successfully break in 78% of burglars admit that a cheap and simple home alarm system would completely deter them from targeting a home.
To view the full article please: